Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Visa:
- He/she needs to be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI).
- Must obey the law and not have any criminal record. The individual must not be a risk to the security of the country. (Note: He/she may need to submit a police certificate).
- Must be in good health, may need to complete a medical exam
- Provide proof that he/she possesses enough money to pay the tuition fees, cover the living expenses for himself/herself, and return transportation from the country.
- Convince the immigration officer that he/she will leave the country as and when the studies end.
Applicants can choose to opt for either the online or offline (on paper) method. Once the application is submitted, it goes under review to determine whether it can be approved or renewed. The applicant may be asked to submit medical test results, police certificate or to appear for an interview. VFS Global will send out notifications to the applicant through text SMS/email to keep them updated.
The application gets processed within few weeks (subject to the requirement of any additional steps). The application needs the passport to be submitted which is returned along with the visa decision. The passport must have a blank page to provide space for visa stamping. Based on the nationality of the applicant, duration of stay, etc., the visa fee varies for different types of visas.
For more details on visa application process visit General visa process for Thais to Canada.
Canada Student Visa Fees:
The fees which need to be paid for availing a Canada Student Visa is US$150. In case the applicant is required to provide biometrics, the fees required to be paid starts from US$85.
Canada Student Visa Requirements:
- Proof of acceptance - As proof of acceptance, the individual is required to submit the acceptance letter that the school had sent him/her. The letter should be included with the study permit application.
- Proof of financial support - When it comes to proving funds, the individual must submit the documents mentioned below:
- Proof of a student/education loan from a bank.
- A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars.
- Bank statement for the last four months.
- Proof of having tuition and housing fees.
- Proof of funding paid from within Canada, if the individual is availing a scholarship or is in a Canadian-funded educational program.
- Letter from the person or school, if they are providing money.
- Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution.
- Proof of having a Canadian bank account in his/her name, if funds are being transferred to Canada.
- Proof of Identity: To prove identity, the individual must submit:
- Two recent passports sized photographs with the name and date of birth written on the back of each photo.
- Valid passport or the travel document.
- Letter of explanation - The letter of explanation helps the visa officer to understand the individual and his/her goals. The letter should explain why the individual wants to study in Canada and prove that he/she understands the responsibilities as a student.
- Custodian declaration (for minors only) - The custodian declaration is required to be submitted only when the minor requires a custodian in Canada. The custodian declaration form which has two pages must be certified by a notary after the first page is signed by the custodian and the second page is signed by the parents or legal guardians of the minor child in the child’s home country.
- Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) - Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) issued by the Quebec government needs to be submitted if the individual will study in Quebec. If the individual is waiting to get the CAQ he/she can use the approval letter from the Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI) to apply for the study permit.
- Other documents - The other documents which the individual may need to submit varies depending on the visa office instructions of the country or region from where the individual belongs. However, one document which need to be submitted irrespective of the country or region is the proof of immigration status in the country from where the application for the study permit is filed.